What are dermal fillers?
Areas Treated With Dermal Fillers
Who is a good candidate for dermal fillers?
Many adults are excellent candidates for dermal fillers. The ideal patient is generally happy with their appearance but interested in reducing the prominence of lines and wrinkles. With realistic expectations, most patients who choose to temporarily improve their facial aesthetic with dermal fillers feel very happy with their results.
Dermal fillers may not be appropriate for individuals with an active skin infection in the desired area of treatment. Treatment has also not been tested on women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Dermal Fillers vs. Botox
Botox and dermal fillers fall into the category of injectable treatment. However, there are notable differences. Botox is an injectable product containing dilute amounts of purified bacteria. When introduced beneath the skin, the active ingredient binds to nerve endings to decrease the severity of muscle contraction. The relaxation of muscles can achieve goals such as smoothing dynamic lines and wrinkles, lifting the brows, or reducing a downward turn at the corners of the mouth.
Dermal fillers are used to correct a different type of problem than Botox. Products like Juvéderm and Restylane are introduced to superficial tissue to plump lines and creases or add volume in areas where fatty tissue has diminished.
Dermal filler treatment is typically completed in an office visit lasting no more than thirty minutes. To begin treatment, we listen as you discuss your cosmetic concerns. The provider then observes your face and skin to determine which product and how much of that product is needed to achieve your desired result. A topical numbing medication can be applied if you are concerned about comfort. Some dermal fillers contain Lidocaine to reduce the pinch that is felt upon injection. Most patients tolerate injections well without external anesthetic.
The effects of filler treatment are immediately visible. This allows the provider to observe improvements as they occur and make adjustments if necessary. After injections are complete, an ice pack may be provided to reduce surface discomfort if you would like. When you leave the office, you go right back to your normal activities.
What is Juvéderm?
How does Juvéderm work?
Types of Juvéderm
Juvéderm products include:
- JUVÉDERM® ULTRA XC. This filler is used to fill lines around the nose and mouth. It may also be used at the corners of the mouth, around the lips to reduce fine lines, and on the forehead to reduce worry lines. In some cases, Juvéderm Ultra is used for lip augmentation. Results may last up to 12 months.
- JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC. Voluma is a filler that has been developed specifically for mid-face enhancement. The filler increases cheek volume for up to 18 months. Voluma may also be used to augment the chin or jawline.
- JUVÉDERM VOLLURE™ XC. Vollure is the Juvéderm product that we may recommend for use around the mouth. This filler may significantly reduce the appearance of nasolabial folds and marionette lines for up to 18 months.
- JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC. This filler has become a popular go-to for lip enhancement. The light, smooth consistency of Volbella provides lip fullness and wrinkle reduction that can last up to 12 months.
How long do Juvéderm results last?
What is Restylane?
How does Restylane work?
Restylane injections are designed to work in the same way natural hyaluronic acid (HA) does in the body. The strategic insertion of hyaluronic acid in the form of Restylane draws water molecules into the treatment area, where they can be held by HA particles for months at a time.
Types of Restylane
Restylane products include:
- Restylane-L. The original Restylane filler, Restylane-L contains Lidocaine to improve the comfort of treatment. This product has been commonly used to treat smile lines, forehead lines, nasolabial folds and marionette lines, and undereye bags and dark circles. Restylane-L may also be used to enhance the lips. Results may last up to 18 months.
- Restylane Lyft. The consistency of Restylane Lyft has been perfected to provide structure and fullness to the mid-face or cheek area. Results may last up to 18 months.
- Restylane Defyne and Refyne. These two Restylane products are commonly used around the nose and mouth. They have been formulated using XpresHA technology to achieve flexibility that supports a natural look and feel in areas that are commonly used for facial expression.
- Restylane Silk. Patients who are interested in soft, full lips choose Restylane Silk for a natural look and feel. Results last approximately 6 months.